Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Birthdays

First, let me say, I am an only child. My birthday was always an huge deal growing up, with lots of cake, lots of presents, and most importantly, lots of fanfare. I grew up believing my birthday was a special day, and as an adult, I still treat it as such. I start my countdown at the beginning of May (my birthday is on the last day), and I begin the celebration a week out. Usually, I go somewhere on a trip, and I NEVER work on my birthday. EVER. Basically, it's a big deal.

So, here's what makes me mad. Anyone who knows me know this. I announce it to the world--that my birthday is coming, that I am excited, that I love birthday attention. And if people choose to not do something that is fine, but at least they know. There are some people in the world who sit idly by pretending that their birthday is not a big deal, and that is fine as well. But IT IS NOT FINE for someone to pretend it is not a big deal, and then get angry or upset when nobody makes a big deal out of it. If you want a big deal, let people know for goodness sakes!

Don't say, "I don't need anything," when someone asks you what you want, and then sulk when you don't get anything. It just isn't fair. This just doesn't make any sense.

And on that note--"It's three days until my birthday!"

No comments: