Thursday, July 3, 2008

Late

I am never late. Ever. If I am supposed to be at work at 8, I'm there at 7:45. If I have class (which I have recently started up again) and it is at 5:45, then I'm there by 5:30. And so on, and so on...you get the point.

So, when my professor has a rule that every three tardies count as an absence, and four absences count as a fail, I've got no problems. Because unless there is a major emergency, I will be in class and on time. But his strict attitude with the late policy makes me think he's focused on the time.

Now, mind you, this class is three hours long. And we get one ten minute break. And other than that, the professor lectures the entire 3 hours about Chaucer and The Canterbury Tales. It's four nights a week. With all of that in mind, you think he would run out of stuff to say early, but alas, he does not. Instead we sometimes run past the 8:30 time and don't get out until 8:40.

This makes me mad. If I have to be there on time, and I am courteous and I listen to what you have to say, you should be courteous of my time and get done at 8:30. Sure, it's only ten minutes, but let me share with you my schedule for the day.

I get up at 6:45 AM. I get to work where I stay until 5 PM. I drive all the way across town--45 min trip to make it to class just in time where I stay until (apparently) 8:40. Then I have to drive 20 minutes to get home. At that point I have about two hours to work out on my elliptical, get a shower, and do any homework I have. So, 10 minutes is a lot of time to me! I could have taken a shower in that time! Or spent some QT with my husband who I have not seen all week.

The funny thing is (but probably not so funny to him) that I pack all of my books up at 8:30 on the dot and just sit and look at him. I would never have done this when I was 19 and in college, but now I'm 33. And I PAID over $500 to take this class. So, at 8:30, I'm done.

The schedule says 8:30 asshole, and if I'm courteous of your time and show up at 5:45, you best be courteous of my time and shut the hell up when the class is over.

No comments: