Tuesday, February 5, 2008

judgmental christians


Let me first start by saying that I am a Christian. I was raised Southern Baptist and grew up going to church. I believe in God, I've read the Bible, and believe people sin. I am not here to get into a political debate over this with anyone reading it. I have my beliefs, and you have your beliefs, and so it goes on and on like that. Fine by me.

Let me also say that being a Christian, I do not believe I get to decide who goes to hell and who does not. I do not get to decide what your relationship is with the Lord. It is not my job to push my beliefs down your throat to get you to convert to my way of thinking. I believe all sins are the same, just as the Bible says they are. I believe if I am sleeping with my boyfriend out of wedlock, then that is the same thing as someone who is gay sleeping with their boyfriend out of wedlock. Do I think I am going to hell for that? I don't know, but here's hoping I'm not!

I cannot stand people who judge and condemn other people and then call themselves Christians. I don't know what they were taught in church, but I was taught that God loved ALL of his children. And that included the gay ones, the black ones, even the ones who didn't love him. Now I'm not saying I love everyone, because as you can tell from this blog, that simply isn't true. But I don't look at someone and based on the fact that they're different from me decide they are going to hell.

So, it makes me mad, infuriates me even to see someone respond to people in that way and then call themselves a Christian. It gives people like me a bad name. When someone who is not Christian finds out I am, they automatically look at me like I'm going to try to shove Jesus down their throat and tell them that how they're living their life is going to get them a ticket straight to hell.

I've always looked at it this way...let's say a person is a Jehovah's Witness. I'll bet you $10 they think what they believe is the right way, and that I'm going to hell (or whatever their version of hell may be). I'm not going to be able to convert them to Christianity and they surely aren't going to convert me to being a Jehovah's witness. So, I prefer they don't come knocking on my door in the middle of the day trying to sell their version of spiritualism to me. So, I try really hard to not do that to other people, either.

I think the world would be a much better place if people spent time working on themselves and their relationship with God instead of pointing their finger at others in a disapproving way.

And at the very least, could you people please shut the hell up with your judgemental views and attaching them to your Christian beliefs? You're killing me over here!

No comments: