Saturday, February 9, 2008

training days


Everyone has had a new job. Well, probably most everyone, unless you got married right out of high school, had three babies, and are a stay at home mom. WHICH, I completely agree is a job in and of itself (one I do not wish to apply for), but not the same thing as starting a new job at a company. One where someone is supposed to train you to actually do that job.

Only come to find out, as my tenure in the work force of America continues to lengthen, the possibility you'll actually get effective training at a new job is highly unlikely. More often than not, someone takes 30 minutes (which is actually an 8 hour day, but that 8 hours is only comprised of about 30 minutes of useful information) to teach you what you need to know, and then leaves you on your own.

Now, that's fine with me. I'm all about taking initiative--buckling down to find answers yourself and be successful. What's not fine with me...what makes me mad...is when someone then calls you and chews your ass about something you were never told or trained to do in the first place.

Most of my jobs have been in management. And I like to think I'm good at what I do. I work hard to motivate people, and when they have shortcomings, I work hard to help them overcome them. If there is no possible way to get them to do their job, I work hard to help them find another home where they might be successful and happy (translation: fire them). I have learned that you get out of people what you put into them. I cannot rightfully expect someone to do something I have neither told nor trained them to do.

So, why is it I wind up with bosses who are older than me, have more experience than me, and are touted as being some of the best managers in the company, who also yell at me when shit doesn't get done that they've never told me to do? I don't remember reading anywhere in the job qualifications that I had to be a mind reader. Did I miss that part?

I have worked at my current job for nine months, and never once has someone set down with me and laid out a path for my success. Everything I have achieved has been through my own investigations--reading manuals, taking computer based training, calling my peers. Some of it has been learned through mistakes with customers or forms filled out incorrectly. And some of it has been through a good ass chewing when I've neglected to do something I was unaware was required.

I am prepared for this lack of training each time I start a new job. But in the back of my head I'm always thinking that there has to be a better way. Maybe I should give up my current job and start giving seminars on training people on how to train.

No comments: