Thursday, February 14, 2008

valentine's day


I could post a whole rant about the commercialization of holidays and how Valentine's Day was created by the Hallmarks of the world to sell cards, gifts, make money, whatever. But really, I don't care. The only thing that makes me mad on Valentine's Day is the price of flowers. What I want to know is this...how is it that ever other freaking day of the year I can buy a dozen roses for $19.99 at any flower shop, but on Valentine's Day those same roses cost me $99.99? I know, I know--supply and demand. But come on, really? That's like a four hundred percent mark up. Florists are taking advantage of guys who lack the imagination to do something other than buy flowers on Valentine's Day. They are gouging the poor saps who are just trying to win the heart of some lovely lady. It really is pathetic. What would happen if one Valentine's Day everyone just stopped buying flowers? If the demand went down, would the price also go down? Maybe next year Americans should band together and have a "flower out." Just a thought.

Give me a $9.99 Russell Stover's box of candy any day. Sit me down in front of a good crime show with my chocolates and a Diet Coke, and let's call it a day.

No comments: